Tuesday 6 March 2012

Introductions are in order...

For anyone stumbling upon this blog. I have decided to document my foray into iOS development. I'm not going to promise anything spectacular but I'll try and post about my frustrations, successes, etc. in the coming months.

A little info about me. I have very little coding experience. I took a course during university in C programming but that was about 3 years ago so I have my work cut out for me. As of now, I have worked through the Objective-C Essentials and iPhone SDK Essentials courses offered at Lynda.com and I feel like I have a tentative grasp on the core concepts of programming for the iOS platform.

Currently, I'm working on a learning platform for the iPad. I have completed the initial window that displays a selection of "lessons" and shows you information about them when you select it from the library. My current task is to figure out how to create a view that will show a PDF. Once I do that, I'll try and post a little how-to for anyone who wants to do it in the future. There really isn't much out there on this topic; especially for iOS 5. I've found some pre-existing PDF readers that are open source but they're too complex for my purpose. All I really need to do is show a PDF and be able to scroll through it.

I've narrowed it down to a couple possibilities. The first I'm going to try is using a UIWebView to show the PDF. That should allow scroll and zoom without any extra coding and since my PDFs are going to be fairly simple and small, it should be ok. If not, I'll have to use a different method.

I'll post again when I get it working :)

PS. If you're reading this and your name is Simon Allardice. I owe you a huge thanks for making really awesome courses!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment